“Happiness is not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort.”
Franklin D Roosevelt
The Freda Gardham School was de-commissioned in 2008 and Rye Creative Centre was launched in 2009 as a centre of creative excellence, providing a unique resource for the people of Rye by bringing together professional artists from across the spectrum to develop, design and make new work on a rotational, residential basis with a core of permanently housed companies and individuals. New Road Artists is a collective made up of a dynamic and exciting mix of artists from a range of backgrounds and traditions. The collective includes sculptors, painters, photographers, textile artists, illustrators, designers and makers: a combination of creative minds and talented hands. Visiting and resident artists offer a range of workshops, master-classes, talks and demonstrations.
Rye Creative Centre continues to flourish alongside the ARRCC charity. ARRCC provide a range of support, advice and training opportunities for physically and sensory impaired adults aged 18 + and have been running arts activities for their clients at the centre since 2010. Find out more about ARRCC on their website.
Rye Creative Centre aims to:
- be a facility striving for excellence
- provide affordable studio space for local artists
- bring together different sectors of the community
- enhance the lives of local people
- provide employment and training opportunities for local people
- attract new audiences and visitors to the area
- contribute to the financial growth of the area
- provide an environment where artists can experiment, take risks and strive for excellence
THE ARTS PROGRAMME TEAM:
Gemma Vliers is our Administrator. She is in the office Monday – Wednesday and Friday 9am – 2.45pm. Contact her via email or call 01797 229 797
Paula MacArthur is our gallery Curator, contact her via email or call 01797 229 797